Donor Bill of Rights
To assure that philanthropy merits the respect and trust of the general public, and that donors and prospective donors to Whitman-Walker Health have full confidence in our organization, we the board of directors declare that all donors to Whitman-Walker Health have these rights:
- To be informed of the organization’s mission, of the way the organization intends to use donated resources, and of its capacity to use donations effectively for their intended purpose.
- To be informed of the identity of those serving on Whitman-Walker’s governing board, and to expect the board to exercise prudent judgment in its stewardship responsibilities.
- To have access to Whitman-Walker’s most recent financial statements.
- To be assured their gifts will be used for the purposes for which they were given.
- To receive appropriate acknowledgement and recognition.
- To be assured that information about their donations is handled with respect and with confidentiality to the extent provided by the law.
- To expect that all relationships with individuals representing organizations of interest to the donor will be professional in nature.
- To be informed whether those seeking donations are volunteers, employees of Whitman-Walker or hired solicitors.
- To have the opportunity for their names to be deleted from mailing lists that Whitman-Walker Health may intend to share.
- To feel free to ask questions when making a donation and to receive prompt, truthful and forthright answers.
- To have Whitman-Walker Health comply with all HIPPA requirements as they apply to fundraising.