Public Benefits Team – What to Bring With You
Whitman-Walker’s Public Benefits team is here to help our patients get coverage for their health care costs.
To help WWH staff see what benefits you may be able to receive, you’ll need to bring the following with you:
Proof of Identity
(At least one of the following, showing your full name and date of birth)
- State-issued ID card or driver’s license
- Green Card
- Birth certificate
Proof of Residency
(At least one of the following)
Valid (non-expired) driver’s license or state ID card with your current address listed
- Valid (non-expired) lease or mortgage agreement (full copy)
- Utility bill (water, gas, electric, cable, telephone only) from the past 60 days with your name and address
- Rent receipt dated within the past 60 days which includes your name and address
- Voter registration card
- Signed “Proof of DC Residency” form with corresponding residency document from verifier (only if you do not have any of the above items)
Proof of Income
(All that apply)
- If you or your spouse are working, you must provide from each employer either one month of consecutive (in a row) recent pay stubs or a written statement from employer stating wages paid weekly/biweekly/monthly (hourly wage is not sufficient) and including employer’s name and contact number
- If either you or your spouse receives Social Security disability or retirement benefits (SSI/SSDI/SSRI), private disability benefits, pension, or other non-work income, you must provide an award letter or statement for each program from which you receive income
- If you are receiving unemployment benefits, you must provide one month of unemployment stubs (one stub may be sufficient) or a printout statement of your weekly benefits received.
For certain programs we may need other documents, such as proof of immigration status/U.S. citizenship (though this is not required for most programs) and proof of assets (such as bank statements). Depending on your particular circumstances we may need other documents which are not listed here. If you cannot provide the documents as listed above or have no income, please call 202.745.6151 for help figuring out what to bring.
If you do not meet with a Public Benefits Navigator and provide all necessary documents BEFORE your appointment, you will have to either reschedule your appointment or pay the full fee for services that day.
The Public Benefits Team sees clients on a walk-in, first-come first-served basis, so in order to make sure you do not miss your appointment, we strongly suggest you come to see Public Benefits at least one day prior to your visit. At our NW site, the Public Benefits team is available 8:30 am – 6:30 pm Monday through Thursdays and 8:30 am – 5:30 pm on Friday. At our SE site, the Public Benefits team is available 9:00 am – 4:30 pm Monday through Friday.
If you have any questions, please call the Public Benefits line at 202.745.6151 to speak with a Public Benefits Navigator. We return messages left on this line within 24 hours or the next business day.
Proof of DC Residency Form