Becoming a Patient
New policy on appointment no-shows (below).
We are excited that you are thinking about becoming our patient! To register for medical, mental health, or dental services at Whitman-Walker, please call 202.745.7000 or e-mail us. We will need basic information about you to set you up for your first appointment.
Once you become a patient at WWH, you can access a varient of services, including medical, mental health, dental, legal, nutrition advice and our pharmacy!
As a patient at Whitman-Walker Health you will have certain rights and responsibilities. A copy of WWH’s Rights and Responsibilities Statement is provided to every new patient at the time of registration and forms the basis of the relationship between WWH and each patient WWH serves.
What to bring to your first visit:
If you do not currently have insurance, you will meet with a Public Benefits staff member during your first visit who will evaluate you for potential insurance coverage.
We accept many public and private insurance plans. If you have private insurance, you may have a co-pay you must pay when you receive care. If you don’t have private insurance, our Public Benefits Unit can help you with potential options. Payment is due at the time that services are rendered.
Clients can pay by check, credit card, debit card or cash. Payments should be made when you see your doctor.
Payments by check may be mailed to:
1701 14th St., NW
Washington, DC 20009
Whitman-Walker implemented a new no show policy beginning on May 15, 2013. The purpose of this policy is to make more appointments available to patients who need one.
To avoid being marked as a No Show, please:
- If a patient misses two appointments within 90 days, they will not be permitted to schedule an appointment in the service in which they no show. Instead they must walk in and request an appointment for the same day. If they would like to schedule appointments again then they need to speak with their provider.
- If a new patient does not show for two new patient appointments, they will not be eligible to schedule another appointment in the department/service for one year.
- cancel or re-schedule your appointment in advance. You may do so by:
- cancelling when you listen to your appointment reminder,
- calling the operator if you cannot make the appointment,
- send an e-mail, or
- leaving a message for the operator.